This Bar is amazing for those cravings for something crunchy and sweet!
I came up with the recipe one Sunday afternoon when I fancied something in-between a rich doughy cake and a crunchy rice-cake, something half way between a dessert and a snack… and I must say I was very happy with the result! :)
The delicious crunchy pumpkin seeds are the star player – providing zinc
– an essential mineral for immunity, hormones, repair and growth. This is an excellent bar for both genders, but as men need more zinc – this is extra great for them!
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup dates
- 2 tbs chia seeds [pre-soaked in 1 tbs water for 5 minutes]
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- 1/8 tsp good salt
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 4 tbs cacao butter
- 3 tbs almond meal or ground up cashews or sunflower seeds
- 1.5 tbs organic (raw) honey
- tiny pinch salt
- Optional: 3 drops organic vanilla essence
- Place all the ingredients into the Processor with an S-blade.
- Pulse until evenly broken up and process until a sticky crunchy dough is formed. Be careful not to over process leaving little crunchy pieces of pumpkin seeds and goji berries for that delicious crunch!
- Transfer the crunchy mixture into a Tupperware container or a deep tray/dish of your choice. Firm it into the base of the container strongly with a spoon, pressing it in, so that the ‘dough’ holds together when you cut it into individual bars later.
- Place into the refrigerator to set for at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare the chocolate frosting: fill a large bowl or pot with a small amount of hot water, place a smaller bowl containing cacao butter into the first bowl and keep stirring the cacao until it melts.
- Mix into the melted cacao butter all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the frosting over the crunchy bar base and place into the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Slice the now set dough into smaller bars, store as is or lined with parchment paper in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in a dry container outside the fridge for a few days.
Can be frozen in an air-tight container for a few months.
- Bring out to the gym, as a snack on your power walks or have it with a cup of herbal tea as a treat. Enjoy! :)